OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURES FOR I-64 WIDENING PROJECT
Sunday, September 17 - Thursday, September 21
NEWPORT NEWS—Lane closures are scheduled for the I-64 Widening Project as follows:
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west September 17-21, as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., starting near Lee Hall (exit 247) and ending near Jefferson Avenue (exit 255).
- UPDATED 9/18/17 TO ADD:
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west September 22-23, as early as 11 p.m. to 8 a.m., starting near Lee Hall (exit 247) and ending near Jefferson Avenue (exit 255). The westbound lane closures on September 22 may start as early as 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Colonial Parkway to Lee Hall (Exit 247) September 17-21, starting as early as 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
- Full ramp closures overnight at the on- and off-ramps on I-64 east and west at Route 199 (exits 242A and 242B) on September 17-21, starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Signed detours will be in place.
- Lane closures under flagger control on September 17-21, from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m on Yorktown Road and Jefferson Avenue at the I-64 overpasses.
- There are long-term traffic patterns with one lane of traffic remaining open in each direction on Jefferson Avenue and Yorktown Road at the I-64 overpasses.
The speed limit is reduced to 55mph in the I-64 work zone in both directions between Jefferson Avenue (exit 255) and Colonial Parkway.
Please check http://www.i64widening.org/news_information/traffic_alert.asp for the latest closure/detour information.
FULL RAMP CLOSURES SCHEDULED OVERNIGHT FOR I-64 WIDENING PROJECT
Detour will be in place during overnight closures on September 17-21
YORK COUNTY — Contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close the following ramps overnight on September 17-21, starting as early as 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning. The lane closures are necessary to perform shoulder strengthening activities for the second segment of the I-64 Widening Project.
- September 17 and 19:
- I-64 east off-ramps to Route 199 east (exit 242B)
- On-ramp from Route 199 east to I-64 east
- September 18 and 20:
- I-64 west off-ramp to Route 199 west (exit 242A)
- On-ramp from Route 199 west to I-64 west
Signs will be in place to alert motorists to the ramp closures and detour.
Traffic will be detoured as follows:
I-64 east (exit 242B) ramp closure
- Take Exit 243 B to Route 143 west
- Follow signs on Route 143 west to ramp for Route 199 east
I-64 west (exit 242A) ramp closure
- Take Exit 238 to Route 143 east
- Take the I-64 east on-ramp
- Follow signs to exit 242A to Route 199 west
Route 199 east on-ramp closure
- Follow signs on Route 199 east to traffic signal
- Make a U-turn at signal to access Route 199 west
- Follow Route 199 west to I-64 west on-ramp
Route 199 west on-ramp closure
- Follow signs on Route 199 west to Route 60 ramp
- From Route 60 take the Route 199 east ramp
- Follow signs to the I-64 east on-ramp
Contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will install consecutive lane closures on Fort Eustis Boulevard (Route 105) and Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) beginning Tuesday, March 29. The lane closures are necessary to perform construction activities for the first segment of the I-64 Widening Project and are estimated to remain in place through mid 2017.
Fort Eustis Boulevard: Right lane closures in the east- and westbound directions between Jefferson Avenue and the bridge over the CSX railroad. The interstate entrance and exit ramps will remain open.
Jefferson Avenue: Left turn traffic from Jefferson Avenue northbound onto Fort Eustis Boulevard will be reduced to one lane.
Motorists are advised to be alert to the reduced 55 mph work zone speed limit between Jefferson Avenue (exit 255) and Lee Hall (exit 247) which will remain in effect throughout construction.